Pope’s Sex Abuse Czar Attacks ‘Young, Conservative’ Priests

Cardinal Seán P. O’Malley, one of Pope Francis’s close advisers, has spoken out against conservative members of the Catholic clergy, defending the Pope’s comments attacking conservative news outlets such as EWTN. Speaking to Argentine newspaper La Nacion from his quarters in Rome, the 77-year-old Archbishop of Boston responded to why Pope Francis is “so questioned,” … Read more

WATCH: The Utter Hypocrisy of Complicit Cardinal O’Malley

Your browser does not support the video tag.   On Monday, the Boston cardinal preached, “Abuse and its cover-up must stop,” and “the wrongs done to God’s people must be corrected.” But years ago, the New York Times reported that O’Malley “had been contacted as early as 2015 about former Cdl. Theodore McCarrick’s sexual assault … Read more

60+ Bishops Lobby to Halt Debate on Communion for Pro-Abort Catholics

The Pillar reports: A group of more than 60 bishops has written to Archbishop Jose Gomez this month, pressing for the U.S. bishops’ conference leadership to suspend discussion “Eucharistic coherence” at the USCCB’s June meeting, despite a recent letter from the Vatican’s doctrinal office counseling the bishops to continue discussing the matter. Discussion on the … Read more

‘Complete Lack Of Catholic Instinct:’ Catholics React To Leaders Canceling Meatless Lenten Obligations Due To Coronavirus

Catholic dioceses have begun dispensing parishioners from their obligation to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent. Another week dominated by news about the CO19 epidemic; another week without access to the sacraments. These are distressful times, and we are facing troubles that we could not have imagined, even a few weeks ago. As this … Read more

Vatican Abuse Czar Cardinal O’Malley Stays On After Formally Offering Resignation

Cardinal Sean O’Malley offered his resignation to Pope Francis over the weekend, but the Roman Catholic archbishop of Boston won’t be leaving his adopted hometown anytime soon, a spokesman for the archdiocese said Wednesday. Church law requires bishops to submit resignations when they turn 75, and Saturday was O’Malley’s birthday. But it is commonplace for … Read more

Boston Archdiocese Criticized for Failing to Release All Names of Priests Accused of Abuse

A lawyer who is well-known for representing victims of clergy sex abuse is criticizing the Archdiocese of Boston for not listing on its website the names of several priests who have faced accusations. “By not publicly listing the names of credibly accused deceased priests, defrocked priests, priests no longer in publicly ministry and retired priests … Read more

Boston Seminary Rector Forced Out Amid Homosexual Abuse Probe

The rector of a troubled Massachusetts seminary has been forced out of the archdiocese of Boston. Monsignor James P. Moroney, former head of scandal-ridden St. John’s Seminary in Brighton in the archdiocese of Boston, is being recalled to his home diocese of Worcester. Announcing the transfer Friday, Worcester authorities explained that beginning January 1, Msgr. Moroney will serve in the diocesan … Read more

O’Malley Exposes Dolan Abuse Cover-Up?

Church Militant has learned that Boston’s Cdl. Sean O’Malley has reported a case of predatory homosexual sex abuse by a New York priest and the ensuing cover-up by New York’s Cdl. Timothy Dolan to the papal nuncio to the United States, Abp. Christophe Pierre. In a letter dated Dec. 21, O’Malley draws the nuncio’s attention to the case … Read more

2015 Letter Belies Pope’s Claim of Ignorance

Pope Francis received a victim’s letter in 2015 that graphically detailed how a priest sexually abused him and how other Chilean clergy ignored it, contradicting the pope’s recent insistence that no victims had come forward to denounce the cover-up, the letter’s author and members of Francis’ own sex- abuse commission have told The Associated Press.

The fact that Francis received the eight-page letter, obtained by the AP, challenges his insistence that he has “zero tolerance” for sex abuse and cover-ups. It also calls into question his stated empathy with abuse survivors, compounding the most serious crisis of his five-year papacy.

But members of the pope’s Commission for the Protection of Minors say that in April 2015, they sent a delegation to Rome specifically to hand-deliver a letter to the pope about Barros. The letter from Juan Carlos Cruz detailed the abuse, kissing and fondling he says he suffered at Karadima’s hands, which he said Barros and others saw but did nothing to stop.

Four members of the commission met with Francis’ top abuse adviser, Cardinal Sean O’Malley, explained their concerns about Francis’ recent appointment of Barros as a bishop in southern Chile, and gave him the letter to deliver to Francis.

“When we gave him (O’Malley) the letter for the pope, he assured us he would give it to the pope and speak of the concerns,” then-commission member Marie Collins told the AP. “And at a later date, he assured us that that had been done.”

Cruz, who now lives and works in Philadelphia, heard the same later that year.

“Cardinal O’Malley called me after the pope’s visit here in Philadelphia and he told me, among other things, that he had given the letter to the pope — in his hands,” he said in an interview at his home Sunday.

Neither the Vatican nor O’Malley responded to multiple requests for comment.

Read more at AP News