Camden Diocese $87.5 Million Sexual Abuse Settlement Approved

A U.S. bankruptcy judge on Thursday approved the Diocese of Camden’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy plan, allowing the New Jersey diocese to move ahead with a $87.5 million settlement of sex abuse lawsuits.

The diocese initially had agreed to settle with about 300 sex abuse victims in April 2022, but the deal had been held up in bankruptcy court over objections raised by the diocese’s insurers. U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Jerrold
Poslusny said at a Thursday court hearing in Camden that recent changes to the deal had resolved all of the insurance-related issues.

The bankruptcy settlement was supported by more than 97% of the abuse claimants who voted on it.

Bishop Dennis Sullivan said in a Thursday statement that the approval would allow the diocese to move on from a “painful” three-year bankruptcy restructuring and “provide substantial reparations to survivors harmed by sinful priests dating back more than six decades.”

“My prayers go out to all survivors of abuse, and I pledge my continuing commitment to ensure that this terrible chapter in the history of the Diocese of Camden, New Jersey, never happens again,” Sullivan said.

Continue reading at Reuters

Share