A group of faithful Catholics in Minnesota are demanding that their bishop step down. Launching a petition to demand the resignation of Bishop Michael Hoeppner of the diocese of Crookston, the document will be submitted to Cdl. Sean O’Malley, president of the Vatican’s Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors. The group cites Hoeppner’s negligence, inaction and mishandling of sexual abuse and child protection, and believe he has failed in his duty to keeping minors in his diocese safe.
Hoeppner has been in the public eye for allegations of sexual abuse cover-up, extensively reported by Church Militant. He has the distinction of being the first bishop in the world to be investigated under the new abuse guidelines set forth by Pope Francis earlier this year.
The petition is seen as an effort to prompt Church officials to do the right thing after numerous missteps by the bishop. Ron Vasek, former candidate for the diaconate, whose son is a priest in the diocese of Crookston, is suing Hoeppner for alleged extortion and threats to keep him from revealing what he knew from his own past experience of sexual abuse by a priest, Msgr. Roger Grundhaus.
Read the rest at Church Militant
When you sign the petition, it will be emailed to Bishop Hoeppner with a copy sent to Archbishop Hebda.
Petition Calling for the Removal of Bishop Michael HoeppnerRead the Petition
- WATCH: Its Beyond Time For Bishops To Fess-Up!
- Bishop Hoeppner Becomes 9th U.S. Bishop Forced to Resign In Post-McCarrick Sex Abuse Crisis
- LISTEN: Victim Tells His Story About Abuse Cover-Up In the Diocese of Crookston Minnesota
- Victim Calls for Removal of Bishop Hoeppner Who Blackmailed Him to Keep Silent About Sex Abuse
- Vatican Orders Additional Investigation Into Bishop Hoeppner
- WATCH: Are Bishops Using ‘Boundary Violation Policies’ To Selectively Persecute Orthodox Priests?
- Bishop Michael Hoeppner
- WATCH: Minnesota Bishop Kept Admitted Child Abuser in Ministry
- Bishop Hoeppner Reportedly Lied Under Oath
- Vos Estis: Why Crookston but not Buffalo?