Cardinal Sean O’Malley told American bishops that a long-expected report on the Vatican’s investigation into alleged serial sex abuser former cardinal Theodore McCarrick has been delayed yet again.
At the annual fall meeting of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), Cardinal O’Malley of Boston updated his colleagues about the probe, saying on Monday, “The intention is to publish the Holy See’s response soon, if not before Christmas, soon in the new year.” The response has been expected since at least February, if not before.
In an apparent attempt to explain the Vatican’s delay, O’Malley said that during the probe, the Vatican found a “much larger corpus” of information from various Vatican dicasteries and American dioceses than had been anticipated. On the part of the Vatican, he said, however: “There is a desire, a commitment, to be thorough and transparent so as to answer peoples’ questions and not simply create more questions.”
Read more at LifeSite News